Friday, July 15, 2011

Mornings, blech

I am not a morning person.  Never have been, doubt I ever will be.  I really, really don't like mornings.  I feel slightly ill when I get up.  Especially in the morning. 

So, because of this my family has learned through the years to leave mommy alone when she is "pre-coffee".  In fact, if there were a motto at our house, it would be "Nothing happens pre-coffee".  I don't do mornings.  I don't do them well.  I prefer to not do them at all. 

Somehow, I married a morning person.  (God has a sense of humor doesn't he?)   I discovered this early in our relationship and after 20 years of marriage, I still don't get it!  Scot can wake up, pull on clothes, walk out the door whistling, and start mowing the yard within 3 minutes. When I get up, I am bleary eyed and unfocused.   I stumble into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and then I go sit on the couch and stare into space while breathing the steam of my coffee.  Occasionally, I take a sip.  Now you know the secret of our marriage:  He brews.  It is biblical - He brews. 

You may think I am exaggerating.  I'm not.  I don't do light, music, or sound.  I gag very easily and have been known to throw up - often.  I just don't do mornings.

So, here is my problem.  We live in Houston.  Hot, muggy, damp, steamy Houston.  So, for years Scot has been trying to get me up early to exercise.  Two reasons: one, it is somewhat cooler and two, that is when he exercises and he likes to be with me (isn't that sweet?).

I've tried it twice this week.  Both times I got up at 6:30 and went for a bike ride with him.  Good news, I did not throw up!  Bad news, I am soooo tired.  Does it negate your workout if you take a nap afterward?  This is really one of my biggest exercise struggles.  If I don't get up early and do it, it is less likely to happen AND it is hot - dang hot.  But, I hate mornings.

Here lies the problem...27 miles is looming up at me in about 70 days!!!  Oh, what have I done?  (Maybe I should rename by blog "Lamentations of a Fat Biker Mom.")

Anybody have any hints for how to overcome?

PS - If you google "fat biker mom", my blog comes up.  Cool, huh?

PPS - Someone needs to ask my husband how this equation works:
beans + bike shorts = six pack abs
It's his theory, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment