Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Funnies

So, announcing that you are riding 27 miles in a fundraiser gets some unusual responses.  Here are some of my favorites:

1.  Eyebrows raised with look of incredulation.  Then they suddenly realize that might be rude and try to change their expression (usually not quick enough).
2.  Laughter, out loud.  Then they stop the out loud part, but can't seem to stop the twitching of the lip.
3.  "Ok, so you will be going about 15 miles an hour, so it should take you about 2 hours.  That's not bad."  This was from a professional cyclist.  He obviously doesn't know me.  He doesn't know that I am allergic to exercise and that this whole experience is a lesson from God.  I think it's to teach me to pray more often.
4.  "Oh, piece of cake.  I know lots of people who ride the MS150."  I think:  well good for them, la-te-da...you're going to be sorry you said that when you are at my funeral!!!  The obituary will say, "Death by Bike".
5.   "Good for you!"  followed by a look at my fat and then that smug look.  You know, the one that says "I'm glad I don't have to do that.  I'm naturally skinny." or "Its about time she starting exercising."
6.  "Really, you? Why?"  (These tend to be the people who know me best.)
7.  "Wow, I can't ride a bike anymore.  I had a wreck once and now I'm scared to death of bikes.  You might get hit by a car!"  Gee, that is exactly what I wanted to hear.  That makes me feel sooo motivated.  Kinda makes me think of "The Christmas Story."  "You'll shoot your eye out. (in a sing-song voice)"
8.  "What were you thinking?  You're an intelligent woman!"  Now, this is the one that I relate to the most, because I really don't know what I was thinking.  I am still baffled.  I'm getting somewhat comfortable with 6 miles.  I did 12 once.  Nearly died.
September 24th, mark it your calendar.  It's the day I will die.  REALLY!


I guess at this point, I should post a disclaimer cause some of you are reading this and thinking, "Oh, no!  What did I do when she told me?"  So, here is my disclaimer.  None of these are exact quotes and I wasn't thinking of anyone particular person when I typed it (well except the professional, but he's not my friend.  He was just trying to sell me a bike.)

No comments:

Post a Comment